The City

You said, "I will go to another land, I will go to another sea
Another city will be found, better than this
Every effort of mine is condemned by fate
and my heart is -- like a corpse -- buried

How long in this wasteland will my mind remain
Wherever I turn my eyes, wherever I may look
I see the black ruins of my life here
where I spent so many years, and ruined and wasted"

New lands you will not find, you will not find other seas
The city will follow you. You will roam the same streets
And you will age in the same neighborhoods
in these same houses you will grow gray
Always you will arrive in this city

To another land -- do not hope --
there is no ship for you, there is no road
As you have ruined your life here
in this little corner,

you have destroyed it in the whole world

-Constantine P Cavafy-

Comments

Yusuf said…
'Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with gift of speech'.
Anonymous said…
You have 'resurrected' it from the ever deadening world.
Anonymous said…
The sulking city
is not for you

you are here
to make it life-like.
CMS said…
:) Reminds of CMS, 03-04 !
Regards

Popular posts from this blog

Kandal Pokkudan: Man of the Mangroves

With Love,